Visa categories in the UAE - comprehensive information on the Dubai visa

Updated on: 12 Sep 2022

The UAE is a place with infinite possibilities thanks to its seven emirates. UAE has undoubtedly positioned itself at the top, whether it be for leisure, employment, or even higher education. You can live in the UAE for a variety of reasons, just like any other expat. The UAE government offers a variety of visa types to make the immigration process more feasible and advantageous for expats. I've covered the various categories of UAE visas below.

1.   Travel Visa

A UAE tourist visa is necessary for expatriates from certain nations who are prohibited from entering the UAE without a visa in order to travel across the nation. The UAE Embassy does not provide tourist visas, in contrast to other visas. You must contact an airline, a travel agency, or a potential hotel in the UAE to obtain one; they will then apply for the visa on your behalf. There are two types of tourist visas for the UAE: 30 day visitor visa Both of these 90-day tourist visas are extendable twice more for an additional 30 days.

2. Transit Permit

A transit visa is a short-term stay visa given to airline passengers who have a connecting flight in the United Arab Emirates. Only the airline you are flying with can grant you a transit visa, which is good for between eight hours and four calendar days. This visa is not necessary for citizens of GCC nations or for those who are permitted access without a visa. Contrary to other visas, a transit visa does not call for a lengthy document attestation process.

3. Student Visa

Foreign students who are staying in the nation for academic purposes are awarded student visas. The student visa is available for one year, but it can be extended for an additional year. The UAE government launched a significant initiative in May 2018 under which students who perform particularly well will be granted 10 years of residency in the nation. In addition to this, specialists like doctors and engineers are also eligible for a 10-year residency.

4. Permit to Work

The Ministry of Human Resource and Emiratization (MoHRE) issues work permits for the UAE, allowing foreign nationals to work there for a specific amount of time. Additionally, no expat can apply for a UAE work permit on their own; instead, their UAE employer will sponsor their visa. The work permit enables foreign nationals to enter the UAE and is only good for two months from the date of issuance. Upon the employee's arrival in the nation, his sponsor will finish the necessary paperwork for the employee's medical examination, fingerprinting, UAE residency visa, labour card, and work residency permit stamp. It permits foreigners to sponsor their family as well. Although, before filing for work permit, the expats are required to attest the essential paperwork.

5. Family Visa

A family visa enables an expat's relatives to live with them. Sponsorship for a spouse and children is available to employees who are already residing in the UAE and make a minimum income of Dh 4,000, or Dh 3,000 plus housing. The minimum salary needed to sponsor the parents is Dh 20,000. Employees must first apply for entry permits before being allowed to enter the nation. The applicants for visas will then undergo medical exams and fingerprinting. Additionally, the employee must provide attested copies of their marriage Certificate, birth certificate, pay stub, labour card, and other necessary documents in order to apply for a family residency visa.

 +91 8880 700 900
Quick Enquiry